Thursday, February 28, 2019

Desire to Inspire - February Challenger- Lisa Whittaker

Meet Lisa Whittaker -She took on the challenge of using "Handmade with Love” by Paula Joerling of One Sister Designs in the month of February 2019.

Hi - I'm Lisa Whittaker, and my cat, Hubble, and I live in Shelbyville, Kentucky.  I work in Frankfort, Kentucky, and I'm very involved with a Sweet Adelines Chorus in Louisville - the Pride of Kentucky Chorus and have been a member there for 25 years.  So - I use my free time to be crafty.  I've been a crafter most of my life, getting the crafting 'gene' from my father, and I can remember watching my grandmother sew clothes for my Barbie.  I used to do a lot of scrapbooking, but mostly now I knit, crochet, and quilt.

My sister (who was a Desire to Inspire participant about a year and a half ago) and I were able to go to QuiltCon last weekend.  Wow!  How inspiring was that!  It was so wonderful to see the beautiful quilts - plus meet some of the vendors in person after admiring all of their wonderful things on Facebook and Instagram!  And - look at the beautiful fabric!  We're already making plans to go to Austin next year.

I started quilting a couple of years ago, and have finished several quilt tops.  I participated in a couple of quilt-along last year - Sewing a Village and 100 Days 100 Blocks, and a Block of the Month Club at one of my favorite quilt shops - Among Friends in Louisville.  What a fantastic experience to participate in those.  You get to share what you've done, plus you get to see what everyone is doing.  I've not finished an entire quilt yet - but there is hope!  My sister, Mona Phelps, has just purchased a longarm, so I know I'll have a finished quilt (or several) soon!

I blog occasionally and you can find me on Instagram at @kentuckygirl1961.

I had so much fun using the Handmade with Love fabrics - they're so cute and have things I love - yarn, floss, pincushions, scissors - all things I use a lot!  I had fun making things that I will use in my crafting life - project bags, a bin to put fun things in, plus an ironing table to put next to my sewing machine so I don't have to get up every time I sew a seam!  Thank you so much to Henry Glass & Co. for letting me participate in the Desire to Inspire for this month!

1.  Bin of Goodies - A bin I made with the Other Things in it.

2.  Bin - Using 2 of the Fabrics 

3.  Boxed Project Bag

4.  Boxed Project Bag- Open

5.  Little Pouch - Clear Front - It's Only 3 1/2" x 4 1/2"

6.  Pincushion - Made with the Pincushion Fabric

7.  Project Bag

8.  Project Bag - Open

9.  Ironing Table - Made from a Foldable TV Table


11 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Cute projects!

Quilting Tangent said...

Very useful items to use on future projects. Great job!

Pat Gottshalk said...

So many goodies. Great job on showing your skills and creativity. Thanks for the inspiration.

Farm Quilter said...

Beautiful projects!! You have made lovely, useful creations that I think we all would like to have! Great use of that beautiful fabric!

Bobbi Lu said...

GREAT idea with the tv tray ironing board. Love all of your handiwork!

The Quilted B said...

Hi Lisa - what a delightful spread! And how clever to make a mini ironing board for your sewing station! Perfect fabric for this sweet collection you made! thank you for sharing these.

Susan L. said...

Great projects!

Miriam said...

Great projects! You have definitely inspired me. It is always such fun to see what each participant makes with their challenge fabrics. Fun collection of fabric and projects!

Danette said...

Such lovely small projects! You did a fantastic job on these adorable creations! And so many useful items, indeed.

lfhpueblo said...

All the projects are cute with these fabric prints.
Lauralee Hensley

Denise L. said...

Great projects! Very inspiring!