Saturday, August 31, 2019

Desire to Inspire - August Challenger - Meet Mary Crowther


Meet Mary Crowther- She took on the challenge of using "Shoe Love is True Love” by Kate Mawdsley in the month of August 2019.

My name is Mary Crowther and I  live in the beautiful Walla Walla Valley on a quiet street.  Summertime is the best with rolling hills of vineyards, wheat, and bluegrass crops. I  love all the trees and old houses.  There are three college/universities nearby.

In my big family, there is always something happening.  I kinda like Baseball and the Walla Walla Sweets have done pretty good this year. My family is scattered from Zillah to Richland & Kennewick to Wyoming and Missouri. One of our 22 grandchildren lives in Ohio. I  love when one of the faraway families come to visit,  everybody wants to get together. 

I grew up under a Quilt. When my grandma visited our home in Moses Lake, Washington, my mother would invite the church ladies to come and quilt. My job under there was to not bump the quilt and to thread the needles. They mostly did whole cloth quilts made of tricot and brushed nylon.  A quilting design drawn on plastic sheeting was traced onto the tricot. Quite the process. My mom worked so I loved when grandma came. I made my own first quilt in high school (the 1970's) so I could have a quilt to take to college. A flannel rail fence, cut with scissors and a cereal box template.  We tied it with colored yarn. Pieced quilts at our house were mostly tied, too many seams to poke the needle through. I  took my first quilt class after the invention of rotary cutters at the Hancock Fabrics in Pasco. Jo Fox was my mentor/teacher.  Pasco was a 45-minute drive from our home in Mesa, Washington. 

I'm a Traditional Quilter but love the novelty fabrics for fussy-cutting. I love designing my projects in EQ8. I got my EQ program when I was a McCall's Quilt Design Star in 2011. I'm 62 years young and am teaching my granddaughters to use EQ and make quilts at our annual "Quilting Grandma Camp". 2019 was our third year.

I belong to two guilds,  Walla Walla Valley Quilt Guild and the Tri-City Quilters Guild. I joined the second after entering their quilt shows for many years. Our local quilt show is coming up in September. The festival committee,  not the guild, sponsors it. I volunteer with the guild setting up and working at the front entry and guild table. I have gone on retreats and met Brady Pettit through the sew-ins, we wear our tiaras and call it tiara-time.

We are lucky to have five shops within a 1/2 hour drive.  I have taught classes for Josh & Tara at Walla Walla Sew, Vac and Spas. My quilt buddy, Lynn Wilson has a little shop behind her home in College Place. I have learned a lot from her. 

I learned to longarm on a Gammill with Suzanne Young around 2005.  I got 'Betsy', my Viking Mega Quilter 18-8 in 2014. She's computerized. 

I started my blog in 2008. It was after my Dream Job, working and teaching BOM (Block of the Month) at Hancock Fabrics ended, the store closed. August is my Blog-o-Versary. I blog about 3 times a week, linking to Design Wall Monday and One Monthly Goal. Usually on MWF.  

In my spare time, I read books about quilting, lol. My favorite authors are Jennifer Chiaverini,  Maries Bostwick, Ann Hazelwood, Arlene Sachitano, Sandra Dallas & Emilie Richards. I have a bit of Quilter's ADD.  I have made way more quilts than beds, windows, and walls in my house. Bought a lot more fabric than I can ever use. Like My favorite Quilty T-Shirt says, "To quilt or not to quilt? DUH!"

Mary's Projects Made with "Shoe Love is True Love"






Shoe Love is True Love Quilt #1


5 comments:

Mary said...

It's been fun. You should add the designers name to where her bio is. Brandy Pettit in my Tiara biddy! Sha has donr the #desiretoinspire a couple times and encouraged me to try.

Farm Quilter said...

How lovely to meet Mary, learn about her life and passions, and get to see the beautiful quilt, book cover, and camera bag she created. One of these days I hope I get to meet her at the Tri-Cities Quilt Show or the Walla Walla Show. Or maybe she'll make it to Odessa to our quilt show!

Brandy said...

Great job Mary! It's fun to be your friend, I am so fortunate to have met you. 🤗 I look forward to seeing these projects in person!

Sherry said...

I love the fabric and it was fun to see Mary's great projects and to read her bio. We live in the same state but there is quite a distance between her home and mine. Great job Mary!

Kcapellman said...

How did my Bio get in your Bio in this blog? From “Mother of two grown children” to the end of this post is MY Bio. My story. Why did you put my Bio in your story? I am upset and hurt. Please have Jennifer at Jaftex correct this egregious padding of your Bio. I was the July Desire to Inspire challenger.