Wednesday, August 26, 2009

HG Designer Nina Favata Blogs for US!

The Healing Power of Creating
How does an artist working on children’s hospital murals find her way to a wonderful fabric company designing for the quilt market? All I know is anything is possible in life, including dreams coming true. During the course of creating the Zany Animal murals, the hospital staff would stop by often and say how much they’d love to see these images on children’s fabrics. It occurred to me that I would too. Being an FIT grad who started her career in fashion, this idea
was never far from my thoughts. Combining two passions was a dream-designing textiles and creating images for sick children!
The newest collection of Zany Barnyard Animals was borne of a mural I painted at Saint Justine’s Children’s Hospital in Montreal in their Physiotherapy Clinic where children suffering from cancer and other traumatic illness were treated.It was all just waiting to unfold. Karen at Henry Glass was my muse as she encouraged me to write a simple story using the animal characters that would be printed on fabric and sold as a cut and sew baby book. In no time, it seemed, the book was written, pages designed, as if it was just waiting to appear!

My hope is that everything I create for HG people will touch the heart of the person using it, even tickle the sales people! That can’t hurt can it?!

I am thrilled to be a part of the talented group of HG designers. I look forward to bringing more to you in the coming months an wish you all a wonderful August.
-Nina

PS My husband and I are bona fide city people who’ve just moved to Country Living in the Adirondacks. My next gig is creating a group of Zany Forest Animal friends for HG. With so much to refer to right out my studio window, it’s going to be a pleasure!

For more information about Nina please go to http://www.ninafavata.com/
For more about her organization Healing Art Environments go to http://www.healingartenvironments.com/

No comments: